Friday, September 23, 2011

How do I use this basic battery charger to charge my car battery?

I lost the manual. It is a %26quot;6/2amp Solid State Battery Charger.%26quot; It has a switch to change from 2 amp to 6 amp. The meter reads from 0 to 8 D.C. amperes.

I'm charging the battery in my old Crown Vic, so I guess it's 12 volt. I know how to hook it up and turn it on safely.

I just don't know how to tell when it's done charging. I know that it's important not to overcharge the battery. So how do I tell from reading the meter (0-8 D.C. amperes) when it is sufficiently charged?

Thank you.How do I use this basic battery charger to charge my car battery?Most newer battery chargers have an auto %26quot;check%26quot; - %26quot;charge%26quot; - %26quot;complete%26quot; stage built in. If you are going to leave it over night, put it on the 2 amp charge. If you need it done sooner, put it on the 6 amp charge for about 4 hours.How do I use this basic battery charger to charge my car battery?Without an volt meter to check the battery's state of charge it's always best to charge at the slowest and lowest 2 amp setting.