Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My automatic car will not shift at all! 10pts!!!?

I have a 2006 Suzuki Forenza. I took my car to the transmission shop on Monday. My car was starting out in 3rd gear instead of first. He said it was a bad range sensor. He fixed it and no more codes showed up on the diagnostic machine. He also said he didn't see anything else wrong, but something was still not right with the shifting. He just couldn't figure out what it was.



My battery was dead...he told me to go to autozone and get a new battery and that could fix it. He said with the battery dead it could have caused the new range sensor to short circuit? This mechanic felt bad and didn't charge me labor. He's very honest and good.



My car drove fine and seemed to be fixed after the battery change. Then yesterday I noticed it was hard to shift from park to reverse and to drive. This evening I stopped at the store on my way home. While in the store parking lot I could not get my car out of park.

I called my dad who was far away...told me to get someone to push the car while I try to shift. I did that and it didn't work. Some guy pushed and shook my car and used force to shift and it would not leave park.



I called roadside assistance and now my car is parked out front.



I can't afford the mechanic til I get paid next Wed. My dad knows how to fix cars. However, he is an old time mechanic and is not that familiar with all the electronic and electrical stuff in cars. He can look up stuff and try to figure out the problem and fix it.



He thought by the sound of this that something is stuck. He told me what the something is...but I don't remember. He said that sometimes happens when on a hill and pushing the car fixes that...only I wasn't on a hill. Do you know what he's talking about?



He is going to try to look up some possibilities and talk to some of his mechanic friends. They are all airplane mechanics.



I just thought I'd check here and see if anyone has any ideas? Please explain a little as to why you think your idea could be the problem. I would like my dad to fix it this weekend so I have my car for work on Monday. My dad can fix anything...he just can't always diagnose things. I don't want him spending the whole weekend and have my car torn apart.



No codes are showing up either. check engine light is NOT on.

Please give me something to go on and I will have him check those specific things out.



My job is 80% travel and really can't go that long without my car. I choose an economic car due to my amount of traveling to save on fuel.My automatic car will not shift at all! 10pts!!!?Here is a site with a bunch of things to try.



http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_would_cause_a_car_to_remain_stuck_in_park



If you have a button on your shifter it sounds as though that may be broken or loose causing it to shift hard. I hope one of these helps you.My automatic car will not shift at all! 10pts!!!?sounds like the isolator that stops the car being started in gear(only in park and neutral with foot on the brake) is out of adjustment