Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How can a woman find a honest, and reliable mechanic?

I drive a lexus truck, I know because of the name its considered luxury. But lexus are nothing more than an upgraded toyota. Here's my problem because its a lexus mechanics use that to their full advantage and over charge me for minor problems. My battery died and when it did it took a few fuses with it. When I called the dealership to fix it they want me to tow my car to them and pay them $250 to change my battery and replace some fuses. Now I don't know much about cars but I did some research and for the parts it comes to $90. why are they charging me an extra $160 dollars for labor. thats ridiculious!! If I can't trust the people who sold me the car, how can I trust anyone else?How can a woman find a honest, and reliable mechanic?You can't. It's standard practice in our %26quot;post modern%26quot; world to %26quot;charge what the market will bear%26quot;.



In %26quot;the old days%26quot; (yes, I still remember those days) you could trust the professional to look out for your interests so you wouldn't have to learn his field of expertise to be sure you weren't being taken advantage of. But now, public school graduates are applying the relativistic ethics they were taught in the absence of Biblical principles and what we end up with is graft and gouging at every turn.



I've solved my problem by using independent vendors for everything.



If I need a battery, I use the Interstate battery people. They'll also do starters and alternators.



If I need any chassis work, I use Pearson Alignment for brakes, u-joints, alignment and front end parts.



For tires I go to Wal-Mart and buy Goodyears.



For exhaust work, Midas offers a lifetime guarantee. I haven't needed a muffler since I decided to use them, but that's my plan at present.



I avoid the dealership like the plague.

.How can a woman find a honest, and reliable mechanic?Dealerships are always more expensive than a corner repair shop.How can a woman find a honest, and reliable mechanic?Strange as it may seem, just try your nearest Wal*Mart auto service center. They may not be the smartest, but also are not known for rip-offs either, and guarantee their work.How can a woman find a honest, and reliable mechanic?Find a good man or learn how to fix it yourself.

Or try to fix it and find a good man. They like when you get dirty...lol.... at least mine does. Plus, he is a mechanic, he can fix whatever I break...lol...How can a woman find a honest, and reliable mechanic?Dealerships are always higher, As for WalMart, they are fine for oil changes and small maintence, but they cannot diagnois your vehicle as far as a major repair. They are aloud to tell you that you need to get furhter inspection on a certain area. I would think your best bet would be to ask around and find a well know service garage.How can a woman find a honest, and reliable mechanic?The first thing I do with a car is get a repair manual. When a problem arises I look it up and then go to a mechanic with a bit of knowledge on what I think might be wrong. I had mechanics in NC that did an awesome job for me but had to keep on them and watch fees costs etc.How can a woman find a honest, and reliable mechanic?Word of mouth is sometimes the best way---talk to friends , neighbors, co-workers, people at church or your minister, nurses or doctors, whoever has similiar vehicle to yours in a parking lot, local BBB or AAA. This site has a lot of car info and reader recommended shops--http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/

You've got two two problems to overcome--being a woman, some shops will think you don't know much about cars and maybe you don't but do some research on a problem before giving the ok to fix---call some other shops for a competetive quote on any repairs and ask lots of questions....ask for any old parts back and always request an estimate before authorizing any repairs---will give you time to check out the prices. Second problem is because you drive a Lexus, shops will assume if you have plenty of money to afford a vehicle like that, you can afford a higher labor rate or more profit on parts. Most car repairs like your battery problem can be handled by a regular garage and need no special equipment to fix...stick with a local shop and get to know the mechanic or owner well. Customer loyalty is much more important to them then a dealer shop, a local shop has a much smaller customer base to make a living off of. But some small shops are just as greedy so beware. When you do find someone that's trustworthy, competent and honest, make sure to show your appreciation and give them a good reference when you can.How can a woman find a honest, and reliable mechanic?learn to change it yourself. Stuff like battery, you should be able to change on your own. How hard is it do replace fuse? Takes 5 minutes.



I don't think dealers are trying to rip you off. Most dealers charge $140/hr in my area and minimum amount that dealer charge is 1 hour labor (which means even if it takes 10 minutes, they have to charge for 1 hour labor)