Wednesday, November 24, 2010

When can I turn on my car AC? How do I make the battery not die out?

Okay when can I turn on my AC? Some people told me to wait a while before I can turn on the AC on my car. HOw long do I have to wait?



When is the best time to use the AC. When is it most fuel efficient. I hear the best time is when you are on the freeway.



Also if i'm gonna use some power outlet on that 12V thingy on my car. How do I use it safely so I don't take out all the battery?



I should use it when the engine is on, and what?When can I turn on my car AC? How do I make the battery not die out?%26quot;Okay when can I turn on my AC? Some people told me to wait a while before I can turn on the AC on my car. HOw long do I have to wait?%26quot;



You can turn it on right away when your car is started. It is something that will hurt your gas mileage some, however. Which brings us to your next question:



%26quot;When is the best time to use the AC. When is it most fuel efficient. I hear the best time is when you are on the freeway. %26quot;



True. At freeway speeds, it's actually more fuel efficient to have your A/C on than your windows open. This is because with the windows open, you get air going into your car which changes the aero-dynamics and causes more drag. I have heard most estimates be about 40-45 MPH is when it becomes more fuel efficient, but never seen anything to actually back that up. But it does make sense, so I'll go with that guess.



I think the real question here is comfort vs. economy. I can't stand to be in a hot car personally, so I crank up the A/C and let my fuel costs go out the window....or the vent in this case.



%26quot;Also if i'm gonna use some power outlet on that 12V thingy on my car. How do I use it safely so I don't take out all the battery?%26quot;



Unplug it when you're done driving. The alternator should easily adapt to whatever you plug in to that as you're driving.



MattWhen can I turn on my car AC? How do I make the battery not die out?The engine must be running when all or any electrical items are on, sure you can go about an hour or so with the radio on but only if the battery is in good condition but after that you risk to ruin the battery..



All in all the alternator must be spinning to maintain the battery in tact, besides the A/C won't last long blowing cold because the A/C compressor must be spinning in order to keep-up blowing cold and even so you also need air passing thru the condenser which is provided by the vehicle's speed..